Before preparing for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, children must first have a foundational understanding of who God is and what He asks of His Church. Therefore, children preparing for First Penance are to complete one full year of religious education (CCE or Catholic School), be actively attending Mass, and participating in their second consecutive year of religious education (CCE or Catholic School).
What is preparation for Penance like at the Co-Cathedral?
- Baptized Catholic children in the 2nd—12th grade who have completed one year of CCE classes (or Catholic School), are actively participating in Mass, and are in their second consecutive year of CCE (or Catholic School) may register and prepare for the sacrament of Penance in an "immmediate preparation process" separate and distinct from their weekly CCE curriculum.
- Baptized Catholic children in the 2th—12th grades who have completed one year of CCE classes will prepare for First Penance at home with their parents. Parents will be given all the necessary resources and support.
- There will be three Parent/Student Preparation Sessions, approximately once a month with First Reconciliation normally late December or very early January.
- Age appropriate texts and materials will be provided at the first of the three Parent/Sudent Sessions.
- Children/Youth must be pre-registered before the first Parent/Student Session.
- Requirements for registration:
- Be in at least the second grade.
- Be a Baptized Catholic. Copy of child's Catholic Baptism Certificate must be turned in with registration form for "First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion Preparation"
- Be attending Mass regularly (weekly).
Why are there several names for the same sacrament?
The Sacrament of Penance is also often referred to as Reconciliation or Confession. Each of these names refer to a different aspect of the Sacrament in which we CONFESS our sins and do PENANCE as a sign of our new RECONCILIATION with God and the Church.
Catholic School parents should speak directly with the Director of Faith Formation or our Faith Formation Associate to register your children.